Note: This webinar has already occurred. Sign up to view the recording and slides.
The whole point of moving to a microservices architecture is to break your functions out into independent pieces, so you certainly don't want to have to make them depend on the architecture for things like load balancing or traffic management.
Fortunately, Istio makes it easy to create a network of deployed services with load balancing, service-to-service authentication, monitoring, and more, without any changes in service code. It defines a standard approach for managing microservices traffic flow, access policy enforcement and telemetry data aggregation in complex multi-clouds. And best of all, using it is pretty straightforward if you already understand Kubernetes.
During this presentation, Mirantis Senior Deployment Engineer Petr Ruzicka shows how you can:
- Install and use Istio in EKS or other Kubernetes environments
- Create a blue-green deployment scenario (weight-based routing)
- Route traffic to pods with different application versions
- Inject HTTP abort fault or HTTP delay information into the communication between pods
- Perform traffic mirroring and routing based on HTTP headers
This session is not going to be an introduction/deep-dive into Istio (you can find that here to get prepared), but rather we will show its capabilities with real live examples.
Original Broadcast: April 4, 2019
Petr is a Sr. Deployment Engineer at Mirantis, working directly with customers to install/upgrade, test and integrate open cloud software. He is based in Prague.